PDA

View Full Version : 2002 Florida Exhaust Statute defined.

buck19
09-01-2003, 01:37 AM
2002 Florida Exhaust Statue as defined by flsenate.gov (http://flsenate.gov)

316.272 Exhaust systems, prevention of noise.-- (http://www.flsenate.gov/Statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&Search_String=&URL=Ch0316/SEC272.HTM&Title=->2002->Ch0316->Section%20272)

...BUT thats only a part of it. Time for the bad news.

heres some more 316.293 Motor vehicle noise.-- (http://www.flsenate.gov/Statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&Search_String=&URL=Ch0316/SEC293.HTM&Title=->2002->Ch0316->Section%20293)

722ish
09-01-2003, 01:47 AM
:o :o im fuked

TampaWRX
09-01-2003, 01:48 AM
Thanks for doing the research...I think we're fucked, but good information nonetheless.

Mark - did you roll by Bennigan's tonight? Thought we saw your Scoob going past.

TampaWRX
09-01-2003, 01:51 AM
p.s. This law is deep bullshit! :mad: Every fucking Harley on the road should be yanked and ticketed for violating this statute! Selective enforcement is the real problem here.

722ish
09-01-2003, 02:02 AM
Originally posted by TampaWRX
Mark - did you roll by Bennigan's tonight? Thought we saw your Scoob going past.

yeah... i was looking for something... damn wrong day everytime.. did you hear the dumb air brake too :roll: i took the aps bov off, vacuum problem ? anyhow, yeah, about 6 somethin? something like that... maybe closer to 7...?

you have mail now...

buck19
09-01-2003, 02:04 AM
thing is a lot of those hogs are kit bikes and as far as i know those are exempt.

buck19
09-01-2003, 02:08 AM
someone make this a STICKY PLEASE

and change my title so "statue" is spelt statute

shoot
09-01-2003, 02:10 AM
Any motor vehicle engaged in a professional or amateur sanctioned, competitive sports event for which admission or entry fee is charged, or practice or time trials for such event.

shoot
09-01-2003, 02:11 AM
SO free Tracks your fucked too?

buck19
09-01-2003, 02:12 AM
i dont know if that means hey i go to the track and race. or you trailer the vehicle to a sanctioned event and use it there.

CBER
09-01-2003, 02:20 AM
gayest law - i hope they only bust this shit in clearwater not in Tampa. on other topic - i was coming back from st peter tonight hearing this bike passed me its sound loud as hell i have a Yoshi-rs2 pipe as well but this thing are 10X louder and he was only doin g about 50 mph -

gritt
09-01-2003, 10:45 AM
loophole=conducting manufacturer`s testing. "no officer, i`m in a verbal aggreement with------at XXXXXXXXX company." no, you know what? he would still give a ticket and make you fight it in court. if the companies we bought our exhausts from would give us a stupid piece of paper saying we are"conducting tests " for their company, kinda like the bullshit you sign to buy fireworks..

Shaun_GST
09-01-2003, 10:48 AM
6) EXEMPT VEHICLES.--The following are exempt from the operation of this act: (c) Any motor vehicle engaged in a manufacturer's engineering, design, or equipment test.
"yes officer i am with mitsubishi and we are working on a retro 1998 Super GS-T to be released in 2 years"

CrapBag
09-01-2003, 11:10 AM
yeah this law sucks when i got my first exhaust ticket the cop told me if you drive normal no cop will pull you over but since i was going a little fast he decided to pull me over but the other night when me and erik got the ticket the cop was just being a dick because we were at the races:nono:
hey 300 QP whatever those do for you

MR2driver
09-01-2003, 11:15 AM
It's gonna be totally selective, because they aren't gonna test shit. None of these officers are gonna be carrying around these dB meters with them. They are just gonna be like, "There's one with a shiney exhaust, let's get em boys."

I have an aftermarket exhaust system, but it's the quietist one they make for the MR2, it's quieter than stock. It is a 3.25" system that has a big shiney muffler about 30" long from one end to the other on the rear. Which is why it is so quiet, the muffler is huge. So that's all a cop will see. I will probably be one of the many "selected" without a dB metering.

m0nk3y
09-01-2003, 11:16 AM
yet another year of law compliance... yesssss...

sucks for anyone with aftermarket though. just keep it down... gibson systems are quiet (for trucks) apex'i ws is quiet...

Josh
09-01-2003, 11:26 AM
p.s. This law is deep bullshit! :mad: Every fucking Harley on the road should be yanked and ticketed for violating this statute! Selective enforcement is the real problem here.

:w/stupid:

H22AzianGurl
09-01-2003, 12:06 PM
Every fucking Harley on the road should be yanked and ticketed for violating this statute!
I agree with that! Yank all these rice burners off the road too! All that shit is annoying! Thats why I got rid of my Honda.

Rich
09-01-2003, 04:05 PM
Its Karma, if you have a loud slow car you should get pulled over.

Strokd85
09-01-2003, 07:30 PM
If they pull you for excessive exhaust noise ask him to show you the meter he's using, ask when the last time it was calibrated, etc.

Lizzle
09-01-2003, 07:45 PM
(a) No person shall modify the exhaust system of a motor vehicle or any other noise-abatement device of a motor vehicle operated or to be operated upon the highways of this state in such a manner that the noise emitted by the motor vehicle is above that emitted by the vehicle as originally manufactured.

So does this mean all aftermarket exhaust are illegal?

TampaWRX
09-01-2003, 10:01 PM
Its Karma, if you have a loud slow car you should get pulled over.
You hear that Ryan? Your slow piece of shit deserved that ticket!:lol: My little shitbox may be stuck running 350 small block horsepower(think stock LT1 Corvette bhp...which ain't impressing anyone) and I would agree that it's pretty slow, but Ryan's toy is a beast of a different variety. :)

I need to start keeping my loud, slow, POS riceburner at home. No more tickets for me. :mullet:

Edited because I forgot the LS1 Vettes got bumped up to 345bhp. I need another ~15bhp to get there. :(

TampaWRX
09-01-2003, 10:06 PM
So does this mean all aftermarket exhaust are illegal?

In a word, yes. :(

King_Of_Spades
09-02-2003, 04:41 AM
if you carefully read the print on the boxes when you buy your exhaust it clearly states...FOR OFFROAD USE ONLY
that is how the manufacuaters keep them selves out of the court bullshit that comes with what they sell. Everything you buy for your car is for offroad use only. even those stupid l.e.d. windsheild wiper deals say offroad use only

race495
09-02-2003, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by Strokd85
If they pull you for excessive exhaust noise ask him to show you the meter he's using, ask when the last time it was calibrated, etc.

That would have no bearing on the statute that is used.

Jonas
09-02-2003, 04:08 PM
hehe sucks for those harley's.... yeah i havent cleaned my exhaust in a while, its nice and dull looking, not too loud, hell even when i drive by cops i kind of lay it in neutral for a little bit untill he passes me...the only real loud cars i can think of are usually the honda's that always have to be first ones of the line at the red lights racing against...no body and just making stupid noise and wasting tires...

joeyk
09-03-2003, 10:27 AM
this has been around for a long time , stop crying about it , it says all cars must have mufflers too do you see a damm muffler in a srt-4 NO so who cares , last thing on a cops mind is "oh my god he has a aftermarket exaust" they only use shit like this when all the ricers go out racing and they cannot find anything to bust them for or they want to add more shit so the kids will go home and rethink there lives , I hope they impound every open header n/a on the face of the planet.
'

Josh
09-03-2003, 01:04 PM
werd. exhaust law = teh gay. :emo:

buck19
09-04-2003, 11:08 PM
i think the dB testing deal only goes into effect when your stock exhaust has become old and falling apart. but next time you get a ticket just look at the statute they got you for and if its for exessively loud exhuast and you know its not that loud you can fight it. but if its for an illegally modified exhaust youre screwed. play it by the books.

wow, my first sticky.

Jordan Y.
09-05-2003, 02:21 PM
Yeah, that's saying that all aftermarket exhausts are illegal, no matter how loud they are. You can't have it tested with a dB meter, because it's illegal just by being an aftermarket exhaust, the sound doesn't have anything to do with it.

In the other section, it says that cutouts are illegal. When I get a stock muffler back on my car and the electric cutout, I'm going to go down to gandy and drive around with the cutout open just to see if they ticket me. Without the shiny aftermarket muffler, I don't think so.

TampaWRX
09-05-2003, 06:56 PM
I read teh exact wording of the statute in question, 316.293, sub section 5 and it basically makes any exhaust that 'produces more noise' than the stock equipment illegal. They even have maximum decibel levels by year ranges included for reference, but without a decibel meter it is the officer's discretion. I thought about going over the statute word by word and being a pain in the ass by submitting a letter to this officer's supervisor, but it's just not worth the effort. This law sucks. It restricts one's right to modify one's vehicle. They are only going to enforce it as a means of harassment and basically it won't change a damn thing. :mad:

Jordan Y.
09-06-2003, 12:07 PM
When will you young whippersnappers learn? You should all sell your ricemobiles and buy suv's, take up a respectable hobby like getting drunk and making an ass of yourself at football games, gasparilla, and ybor.

lowoctane
09-06-2003, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by integra_nemesis
werd. exhaust law = teh gay. :emo:

+1

M_Coupe
09-06-2003, 06:08 PM
What if I strap a Megaphone on the back of my factory exaust? No HP gain or anything, but it'd be nice to stick it to the man!!!

flubyux2
09-06-2003, 09:49 PM
stick it to the man!!!
hey, only i can say that!! :stickpke:

so... does this mean my Supra w/ an Open 3" Downpipe is illegal?

Isnt there a law that stipulates that one must have a complete exhaust and in full working order? Cuz if thats the case, you can pull that up. They will have 2 laws that contradict eachother... knida like the bible... where it says "The Good lord helps those who help themselves" yet It also says "Ask and ye shall recieive" i mean, seriously.... wtf?

Jordan Y.
09-07-2003, 02:12 AM
Originally posted by flubyux2
so... does this mean my Supra w/ an Open 3" Downpipe is illegal?

No cat (breaks federal laws), no muffler, modified from stock and obviously quite a bit louder (rode in an open-dp car for the first time today, it sounds really nice, it is very loud, though)

But I think you knew that. ;)

racethis001
09-07-2003, 11:44 PM
the reason harleys and bikes don't get them is because they come "stock like that" from a sheriff

art
09-09-2003, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by racethis001
the reason harleys and bikes don't get them is because they come "stock like that" from a sheriff

hmmm that I disagree with all the biker's i know got rid of the stock exhaust and replaced it within a week!!!! so my angle is look around most hog's arnt running stock exhaust and hvnt beem for some time...but also most of the time when you
are just driving and not trying to break lightspeed cops will leave you alone but i can see them using it to break up "streetracing" myself I think if a group of people are just hanging out and not being ass's there is no reason for them to come barging in like theres a crack deal going down...but thats just my .02 on the subject....
art:roll:

JoeCoolinATL
09-13-2003, 03:40 AM
ive been in places where they did this before, its soooooo selective, mainly sport compacts were targeted, why not mustangs and camaros and etc? simply because they want to target who they feel needs harassing. ricers and sport compact drivers. this is just from experience, ive got no idea how they are going to do this in florida but im just guessing it will be the same way, i.e. bikes and v8s wont matter, but 4 cyl's with loud exhausts are going to be harassed relentlessly.
joe

HondaBoy
09-13-2003, 03:53 AM
Thats funny, everyone in here said "im fucked" ha ha ha

the stock wagon ownes all life!

Capital G
09-13-2003, 10:29 AM
Thank God for my MRT turbo back! :)

97blkz
09-13-2003, 04:44 PM
the cop who gave me a ticket 2 weeks ago said my car sounded nice?? its up to the cop!

Bone
09-13-2003, 06:28 PM
I would love to see some one pull the what dB was my car at on the cop, as he pulls out the inspection mirror and busts them for no cats.

buck19
09-15-2003, 11:17 PM
friend got a $7 fix it ticket. basically means you can ride on it as loud as you want for a week for $7. he was running open header. only cause the exhaust shop couldnt work on his car sat when he put the header on. cop was cool about that.

buck19
09-15-2003, 11:17 PM
why isnt this a sticky anymore?