PDA

View Full Version : How long due bullets last before they expire?

Turbo C-Ya
05-28-2004, 09:34 AM
I used to know but forgot. I think something like 10 years. BUt how long do bullets last before you should replace them? I am still keeping my self-defense gun loaded w/ hollow points I purchased in 1996. Anyone know? Also, please state your source so wanna-be gun experts don't butt in with inaccurate information.

93ex
05-28-2004, 09:37 AM
too many variables in ammo to know when it will fail.. just "keep your powder dry" will prolong the life of it.. I know many peopel keep ammo from the 1970s or ww2, and still shoot it

Frankie
05-28-2004, 09:38 AM
I recently took the NRA concealed permit class with Norm Belson. He's an ex-cop, ex-military, super NRA activist, and we asked him the same question. He said in theory, bullets shouldn't expire as long as you keep them dry, but he fires off all of his old rounds at the range every year. He said he'd hate to have to rely on old bullets in a self-defense situation. If I were you, I'd get myself some range time and junk those old '96 hollow points into some 1970's bad guy paper target. I mean, how much is a box or two of new ammo anyway? $50 at most if you're buying magsafes and have a few magazines?

Billy
05-28-2004, 10:20 AM
Like Jesse said, there are alot of variables. Like Stale said, if you are going to keep a box for selfdefense at home just fire it off every year and pick up a new box. Nice piece of mind as well as keeping you familiar with the characteristics of the ammo you plan on using for defense.

Strongest Man In The World
05-28-2004, 10:25 AM
Im pretty sure Hollowpoints cant just be bought at walmart, I think thats why hes not wanting to fire them off. Whats the point of having a hollowpoint anyway, unless you plan on doing a little cop killin :nono:

Billy
05-28-2004, 10:35 AM
Hollow points are available just about anywhere you can pick up bullets; and depending on what you are firing you might pay 25 bucks or so a box, so that shouldn't break the bank for piece of mind.

And, a nice hollow point is going to give you alot of stopping power and hopefully not enough velocity or penetration after the initial hit to kill your next door neighbor.

05-28-2004, 10:47 AM
hmm ok, well i guess i was wrong. i still dont see the need for a hollow point bullet. a normal baretta 9mm will do enough damage by itself

gearheadjunkie2
05-28-2004, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by Exhaust Etc
hmm ok, well i guess i was wrong. i still dont see the need for a hollow point bullet. a normal baretta 9mm will do enough damage by itself

jezzz, I was unaware that beretta made ammo now, jezz I must have missed something, O wait thats right, they didnt.

The point of the hollow cavity is pretty clear if you have any knowledge of physics, hmmmmm lets see, deep cavity in front where blood will accumulate, blood cant be compressed, so, the outer precut shell of the copper jacket around the lead will expand into a nice saw blade shape(depends on brand) and the bullet will sometimes tripple in diameter while still rotating through the body. hmmm If ya ask me that would be a better killer than a plain jane FMJ(full metal jacket) 9mm parabellum, that would just either stop in one piece in the person or go straght through which would not cause much damage and would require the shooter to place more shots to stop the BG(bad guy)

Do some research and educate yourself, you'd be surpized how much information you can learn about ballistics.

05-28-2004, 01:27 PM
no shit buddy

refering to the gun

:)

gearheadjunkie2
05-28-2004, 01:30 PM
Im pretty sure Hollowpoints cant just be bought at walmart, I think thats why hes not wanting to fire them off. Whats the point of having a hollowpoint anyway, unless you plan on doing a little cop killin :nono:

also, lol.

Neither a 9mmFMJ or 9mmJHP(Jacketed hollow point) could go through a officers bullet proof vest.

About the only handgun round that could would be a S&W .500 or .50AE and even then that depends on what level protection an officer is wearing or if the round has a steel core. Now a HP rifle(high powered, IE- over 3,000fps) would pierce a vest like butter, again unless the officer had a beast ass trauma plate that could stop said round.

smoke3
05-28-2004, 02:48 PM
yeah why would u want hollow tips for self defense. If u shoot some one most likely u cant carry them to court or sue them after lol. I wish the miltary would issue hoolow tips. Those idiots in iraq needs a good hole or two

05-28-2004, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by gearheadjunkie2
also, lol.

Neither a 9mmFMJ or 9mmJHP(Jacketed hollow point) could go through a officers bullet proof vest.

About the only handgun round that could would be a S&W .500 or .50AE and even then that depends on what level protection an officer is wearing or if the round has a steel core. Now a HP rifle(high powered, IE- over 3,000fps) would pierce a vest like butter, again unless the officer had a beast ass trauma plate that could stop said round.

:bowdown: to the almighty gun god LOL

hope your head isnt as big in real life as it is on the intraweb, it would be a decent target LOL

gearheadjunkie2
05-28-2004, 03:39 PM

hope your head isnt as big in real life as it is on the intraweb, it would be a decent target LOL

I'd challenge you to a day at the range any day NEWB.

TNathe
05-28-2004, 03:58 PM

He was trying to educate you man. He knows what he's talking about and simple physics do too.

gearheadjunkie2
05-28-2004, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by TNathe
He was trying to educate you man. He knows what he's talking about and simple physics do too.

Thanks, I didnt think id get a reply like he wrote, he could of gone to google and typed in ballistics and learned some stuff before he ran his mouth saying I have a big head. I used to own a GSR and a Z28 so I must have a big head cause I know alot about import and domestics:nono:

gearheadjunkie2
05-28-2004, 04:07 PM
Anyway to answer the original question, a measly 20 bucks for a new case of 20 Speer GoldDot hollow points isnt worth your life. Shoot the old ammo at the range and buy a new box.

WILSONNN17
05-28-2004, 04:16 PM
y does every thread turn into people talking shit to one another?

Turbo C-Ya
05-28-2004, 04:22 PM
Anyway to answer the original question, a measly 20 bucks for a new case of 20 Speer GoldDot hollow points isnt worth your life. Shoot the old ammo at the range and buy a new box.

I agree. New bullets will be bought and replaced every other year...

05-28-2004, 04:37 PM
I never claimed to know anything about guns, But i do know i dont like to bne laughed at (IE LOL.....)

im sure your knowledge is much superior to mine, but i dont care, i just through in my 2 cents, I was wrong and i admited it.

gearheadjunkie2
05-28-2004, 04:52 PM
I was not "lol" at you, just at the fact that more people should know about stuff like this thats all. Because everywhere I go I see people not educated about guns. hell if liberals took the time to understand guns and the mechanics, pyhsics, play on our history, etc, then maybe they wouldnt hate them so much.

It kills me that these moms are doin a march to renew the AWB in september, but outlawing baynet lugs and hi cap mags did nothing in the past 10 years, I can kill someone just as good with 1 shot as I can with 15, my point is its not the guns we need to put retrictions on, but rather we make the laws stricter that include a crime with a firearm.

What would work better to reduce gun crime,
1.no more baynet lugs or flash hiders on these evil looking semi-auto guns, that will make the crime stop.

or

2. Everyone must know that if you commit a crime with a gun for each bullet you fire its 10 years in prison, etc, etc.

I think 2 will hit home harder dont ya think, damn im rambling on and on, peace.

Frankie
05-28-2004, 05:02 PM
Jesus fucking christ. Time to unsubscribe from this thread. Fucking school kids.

Jeff240sx
05-28-2004, 05:04 PM
Using a JHP round will give you more stopping power, bringing smaller caliber handguns up to par with more powerful, louder, and more recoiling handguns. A FMJ bullet will simply enter and exit, like a knife stab wound. A JHP will cause more severe internal damage, as well as 2 cavities, a temporary stretching cavity (like a rock spash in water), and a permanent cavity further along, which is why people say hollow points enter the size of a dime and exit the size of a tennis ball.
Military uses FMJ rounds for 2 reasons. 1) The bullet retains accuracy and speed. A hollow point is nothing but a large sail for air to catch into, slowing down the round. At 467m, a FMJ will keep 67% of its muzzle velocity, while a rounder bullet (say a .45cal shot from the same gun) will only keep 50%. A JHP will only keep about 25%, and lose accuracy, also. The second reason (2) is that military cannot create unnecessary deformities, pain, or wounds. A JHP shot in the leg will cause a ton of tissue damage, severing muscles, tearing tissues and veins, occasionally rendering the leg useless or more often, near useless. A FMJ to the leg leaves a hole and a tunnel.
This wasn't the answer to the main question.. but it came up.
-Jeff

Jeff240sx
05-28-2004, 05:06 PM
Everyone must know that if you commit a crime with a gun for each bullet you fire its 10 years in prison, etc, etc.

This was passed a few years ago. It's called the 10-20-Life law in Florida. Pull a gun and it's mandatory 10 years. Fire it, and it's 20. Hit someone, and it's life... well.. 25 years to life, I'm assuming that it's the only time a judge can consider the situation and set the sentence based on severity.
-Jeff

05-28-2004, 05:41 PM
I am a big time gun supporter, i just dont study them. Im deff not a liberal, i cant stand people who are against guns for personal protection. Im not being childish, i just thought he was giving me the "holier than thou" treatment and i didnt like that.

Shockerguy99
05-28-2004, 06:09 PM
As stated above, shoot the old ammo and buy new. Would suck if they misfired when you really needed them to fire. 20 bucks isnt too bad.

BigBadBuick
05-28-2004, 06:19 PM
There is a born on date stamped on the side of newer shells, this should clear up any misconceptions.

bigB
05-28-2004, 06:28 PM
this thread gave me a head ache.

0HP930
05-28-2004, 10:27 PM
I had a full clip of bullets in my CCW and car gun go bad in just a little over a year.

+1 on keeping all of your ammo up to date and storing it in a cool dry place.

M249SAW
05-29-2004, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by smoke3
I wish the miltary would issue hoolow tips. Those idiots in iraq needs a good hole or two

Hollow-point rounds are banned by the Geneva convention. This is an attempt to make battlefield wounds less traumatic if there is such a thing.

Police on the other hand are required to use hollow-points for higher stopping ratios per round since you can't very well issue a GPMG to every officer:lol:

M249SAW
05-29-2004, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by BigBadBuick
There is a born on date stamped on the side of newer shells, this should clear up any misconceptions.

Are you sure your not talking about Budweiser:lol:

Ive looked at my Magsafes as well as my Gold-dots and I dont see any dates.

Regardless I cycle my CCW ammo every 3 months. 3 .45ACP Magsafes followed by 4 Speer Gold-dots in each of the 2 mags I carry.

Goopster1
05-29-2004, 09:45 PM
What is the deal with people thinking you can sue people after blowing a hole in them with a hollow point instead of the standard blunt face bullet? Why do so many think they are illigal or only for killing cops also?

Just wondering cause as I know they are perfectly legal, they protect far better than standard bullets because they spread the mass out and tear open flesh far more than the standard round and offer superior stopping power.

I would have nothing else for home protection and self protection when outside of your castle.
I would buy new ammo if you have had that ammunition inside the clip from 96.Just be safe about it because if you need it and you have a screw up , you will wish you had the newest ammo you could have had. Just something to think about.

M249SAW
05-29-2004, 09:57 PM
Thats why I use Magsafes for the first 3 rounds in each clip. I dont have to worry about over-penetration. If I need to go through a car door I just have to bury the first 3 rounds then the Gold-dots will punch on through.