+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Another one bites the dust: tenoroc in lakeland

jdk
    Non ducor, duco jdk User is effing awesome ! jdk User is effing awesome ! jdk User is effing awesome ! jdk User is effing awesome ! jdk User is effing awesome ! jdk User is effing awesome ! jdk User is effing awesome ! jdk User is effing awesome ! jdk User is effing awesome ! jdk User is effing awesome ! jdk User is effing awesome ! jdk's Avatar

Another one bites the dust: tenoroc in lakeland

Just saw on their facebook that Tenoroc shooting sports in lakeland is closing. Seems like they're implying FWC didn't renew their lease because gun related hobbies are taboo now.

Tenoroc Shooting Sports & Training
    Hello friends, Christine and I wanted to give everyone about a months notice that Tenoroc Shooting Sports and Training will be closing in a month, February 14, 2013. We have been leasing the range from the Florida Wildlife Conservation Commission for 13 years and they have opted not to renew our lease. It's been a great 13 years and we've made a ton of friends, learned alot and have had fun making a living out of a hobby. We'll keep throwing targets, shooting on the rifle and pistol ranges and give you our best service until the day we close. All the craziness from an anticipated gun ban has our ammo shelves a bit empty but we ordered $50,000 worth of ammo 2 weeks ago that should be arriving soon and we'd love to go out with a bang with all of our friends joining us one last time before it's time to holster our weapon. Thanks. MARK
    Moved to http://verbalclash.com , cya.

Caught Somewhere in Time nipster User is effing awesome ! nipster User is effing awesome ! nipster User is effing awesome ! nipster User is effing awesome ! nipster User is effing awesome ! nipster User is effing awesome ! nipster User is effing awesome ! nipster User is effing awesome ! nipster User is effing awesome ! nipster User is effing awesome ! nipster User is effing awesome ! nipster's Avatar
    A letter to your congressman or the governor might help put pressure on FWC, and this dildo Ag commissioner who runs it. Look him up, Adam Putnam, a fucking kid basically. Elected to the US Congress at age 25. He's a fucking shill for polk county business like Phosphate and citrus growers. Basically a fucking big frat boy.

Registered User DocBallistic User is effing awesome ! DocBallistic User is effing awesome ! DocBallistic User is effing awesome ! DocBallistic User is effing awesome ! DocBallistic User is effing awesome ! DocBallistic User is effing awesome ! DocBallistic User is effing awesome ! DocBallistic User is effing awesome ! DocBallistic User is effing awesome ! DocBallistic User is effing awesome ! DocBallistic User is effing awesome !
    Tenroc is a joke, i hate that place. I havent been back since that RO named manny tried to grab a loaded firearm our of my hands
    gangnam style

jdk
    Non ducor, duco jdk User is effing awesome ! jdk User is effing awesome ! jdk User is effing awesome ! jdk User is effing awesome ! jdk User is effing awesome ! jdk User is effing awesome ! jdk User is effing awesome ! jdk User is effing awesome ! jdk User is effing awesome ! jdk User is effing awesome ! jdk User is effing awesome ! jdk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DocBallistic View Post
    Tenroc is a joke, i hate that place. I havent been back since that RO named manny tried to grab a loaded firearm our of my hands

now they're going out of business, you should be happy. one less place for people to enjoy their hobby.

you sure showed that manny fucker who's boss!!!
    Moved to http://verbalclash.com , cya.

Registered User DocBallistic User is effing awesome ! DocBallistic User is effing awesome ! DocBallistic User is effing awesome ! DocBallistic User is effing awesome ! DocBallistic User is effing awesome ! DocBallistic User is effing awesome ! DocBallistic User is effing awesome ! DocBallistic User is effing awesome ! DocBallistic User is effing awesome ! DocBallistic User is effing awesome ! DocBallistic User is effing awesome !
    Quote Originally Posted by jdk View Post
    now they're going out of business, you should be happy. one less place for people to enjoy their hobby.

you sure showed that manny fucker who's boss!!!
    My point was the people there made it what it is. There have many many complaints about tenoroc and local residents have been wanting it shut down since i was in HS and we shot matches there. The range is owned by Ultimate Arms which is right down the road near 92, i know mark personally and love him and his wife. However, when i told him what happened with manny nothing came of it and thats whats wrong with that place. Hell ive known mark for probably 10 years no if not longer. In HS we used to help them setup at the GunShow for donations to our shooting team. But after some asshole wanna be GI Joe tried to grab a loaded firearm from me and nothing ever came of the complaint, I will no longer shoot in an unsafe enviroment. Ive even had the old guy there tell me i cant shoot my 308 there because they dont allow that type of weaponry, he was referring to my Accuracy International.
    gangnam style

CYFG PPGMD User is effing awesome ! PPGMD User is effing awesome ! PPGMD User is effing awesome ! PPGMD User is effing awesome ! PPGMD User is effing awesome ! PPGMD User is effing awesome ! PPGMD User is effing awesome ! PPGMD User is effing awesome ! PPGMD User is effing awesome ! PPGMD User is effing awesome ! PPGMD User is effing awesome ! PPGMD's Avatar
    Here is a question is the range a FWC range operated by someone else or did they simply lease the land from FWC?

Because if it is a publicly owned FWC range they could simply be changing the management operations.
    Diligentia - Vis - Celeritas
    Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the night. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Quote Originally Posted by PPGMD View Post
    Here is a question is the range a FWC range operated by someone else or did they simply lease the land from FWC?

Because if it is a publicly owned FWC range they could simply be changing the management operations.
    the land is FWC, the range is owned by Ultimate Arms, they just lease the property.
    gangnam style

CYFG PPGMD User is effing awesome ! PPGMD User is effing awesome ! PPGMD User is effing awesome ! PPGMD User is effing awesome ! PPGMD User is effing awesome ! PPGMD User is effing awesome ! PPGMD User is effing awesome ! PPGMD User is effing awesome ! PPGMD User is effing awesome ! PPGMD User is effing awesome ! PPGMD User is effing awesome ! PPGMD's Avatar
    Well I did some research on my own, and this seems to imply that the range is built and owned by the FWC:
    http://myfwc.com/viewing/recreation/...#ShootingRange
    The FWC has constructed a major regional shooting sports facility at Tenoroc. The facility, managed by a private vendor, includes rifle, pistol, and air gun ranges, trap/skeet and sporting clay stations, and ground level, elevated, and 3-D archery ranges.
    So perhaps they are simply changing the vendor in charge of the range.
    Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the night. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Pistol Life o1yellowGT User is effing awesome ! o1yellowGT User is effing awesome ! o1yellowGT User is effing awesome ! o1yellowGT User is effing awesome ! o1yellowGT User is effing awesome ! o1yellowGT User is effing awesome ! o1yellowGT User is effing awesome ! o1yellowGT User is effing awesome ! o1yellowGT User is effing awesome ! o1yellowGT User is effing awesome ! o1yellowGT User is effing awesome !
    I have dealt with Christine personally ( setting up the Glock Forum shoot) and she was great ! Hate to see this !

Quote Originally Posted by PPGMD View Post
    Well I did some research on my own, and this seems to imply that the range is built and owned by the FWC:
    http://myfwc.com/viewing/recreation/...#ShootingRange

So perhaps they are simply changing the vendor in charge of the range.
    Ultimate arms owns and operates the Fascilities however the rear ranges which are off limits to the public is owned by the state.
    gangnam style

Ultimate arms owns and operates the Fascilities however the rear ranges which are off limits to the public is owned by the state.
    Your description and theirs don't match up.

Anyways I would wait and see. I've seen something similar happen more than once.

Looks like I was right FWC owns the range and is planning to replace the operator, this was just posted on their facebook.

Wow, Christine and I were overwhelmed and humbled today with the posts and phone calls, it's almost like going to your own funeral. We're extremely grateful that we were able to run Tenoroc for 13 years. We remember the early days when we slept on the floor at nights because we worked so late and couldn't drive the hour+ back to Tampa. In those early days we were happy to see 4,000 people a year, now we have almost 30,000 visitors each year.
    Our two girls grew up helping us run the family business, Rachel carried much of what she learned into the Army where she's now a 1st Lt, Heather graduates college in 4 months. We're trying to count how many folks we've employed and lost count at 60. I'm proud we were able to give kids like Matt, Kristin and James a way to work through high school and college and prouder still of what they've made of their lives. Cubby started working at Tenoroc when he was 15 and is still with us at 28 after taking what he learned to run his family business for a couple years. We've helped over a dozen guys transition from military service with Chad still with us 3 years after leaving the Corps and Fester working his way into the Corps with us.
    I learned the value of giving a man dignity in his last days as we employed 4 men with terminal illnesses, all who worked with us until the end. We made shooting a viable and respectable way for countless charities to raise money.

We've hosted over 1,000 charity shoots which raised over $2,000,000 in profit for the charities: schools, churches, veterans organizations, shelters for abused women and children and conservation groups. I was in a non shooting charity event today and was teamed up with an amputee veteran, Rudy. We recognized each other from the range where once a month we donate the use of the facility to the VA hospital in Tampa to help amputee vets learn their disability doesn't have to prevent them from participating in the activities they love.

Training was important enough to us to make the word part of our business name and I can't count how many people have learned gun safety, marksmanship and hopefully other skills and lessons at Tenoroc either through formal lessons or just the helping hand all of our RO's are willing to give those on the line. Personally, I have had the satisfaction of helping several women, victims of violent attacks, transform from a feeling of helplessness (literally crying when they first touched a firearm) to feeling empowered and back in charge of their lives. I've watched parents share the passion with their children, relatives and neighbors and in 3 instances have had "kids" I taught how to shoot for the first time in their teens bring their young sons to me for training.

So we could be saddened by the loss of our livihood and the end of these memories being made but that's a half glass full way of looking at life and goes counter to everything we've learned. Christine and I will now focus 100% on Ultimate Arms. We'll still serve the Lakeland shooting community and we'll still conduct business on a handshake. We're starting the process of building an indoor shooting range on the property and intend to carry on our goal of providing folks a place to shoot safely and have a good time. We obviously can't do anything with rifles or shotguns indoors but maybe something will come up in the future. I think you can look forward to most of our staff joining us and maintaining the shooting family.

The State intends to hire government employees to run Tenoroc as they did 14 years ago before us. No team is in place or hired yet. These decisions were made prior to the election and we've taken our cause as high as we can. Perhaps a grass root effort can change their minds and Christine and I would love to see their decision reversed and have the opportunity to continue doing what we love and having you all visit us at the range. The two best people to contact in Tallahassee would be Nick Wiley 850-487-3796 or Greg Holder 850-487-3796.

I hope you all continue to shoot and pass the tradition on to your friends and relatives. MARK
    creophus likes this.

'Bout it 'Bout it creophus User is effing awesome ! creophus User is effing awesome ! creophus User is effing awesome ! creophus User is effing awesome ! creophus User is effing awesome ! creophus User is effing awesome ! creophus User is effing awesome ! creophus User is effing awesome ! creophus User is effing awesome ! creophus User is effing awesome ! creophus User is effing awesome ! creophus's Avatar
    Thanks for that info PPGMD. I liked the folks at Tenoroc. Unfortunately I stopped going there when FishHawk sporting clays opened up. Gas prices didn't make that drive any easier. Glad to hear that the facility will still be open.

Pistol Life o1yellowGT User is effing awesome ! o1yellowGT User is effing awesome ! o1yellowGT User is effing awesome ! o1yellowGT User is effing awesome ! o1yellowGT User is effing awesome ! o1yellowGT User is effing awesome ! o1yellowGT User is effing awesome ! o1yellowGT User is effing awesome ! o1yellowGT User is effing awesome ! o1yellowGT User is effing awesome ! o1yellowGT User is effing awesome !
    Pretty sure Christine and her hubby own Ultimate Arms. By the sounds of it you should probably like them. They have done A LOT for a lot of people especially former military...

Caught Somewhere in Time nipster User is effing awesome ! nipster User is effing awesome ! nipster User is effing awesome ! nipster User is effing awesome ! nipster User is effing awesome ! nipster User is effing awesome ! nipster User is effing awesome ! nipster User is effing awesome ! nipster User is effing awesome ! nipster User is effing awesome ! nipster User is effing awesome ! nipster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by o1yellowGT View Post
    Pretty sure Christine and her hubby own Ultimate Arms. By the sounds of it you should probably like them. They have done A LOT for a lot of people especially former military...
    And in Doc's case, former wanna-be military

Quote Originally Posted by o1yellowGT View Post
    I know thats what i posted lol i know them both. Ive known them since HS. The actual front facility is owned by them, there is actually three ranges at tenoroc. The buildings and facilities are owned by UA. The range is government land. Behind the Pistol ranges is a Shotgun trap range thats never used its off limits.

And to PPGMD i dont see this is changing ownership as the state has always owned the land... There has been major issues with them running the place like the one i had mentioned. Im sure UA will get a nice severance pay for their facilities.
    gangnam style

Quote Originally Posted by nipster View Post
    And in Doc's case, former wanna-be military
    buhahaha you get funnier each day... you served where again?
    gangnam style

buhahaha you get funnier each day... you served where again?
    Unlike you, I never claimed I did...

I know thats what i posted lol i know them both. Ive known them since HS. The actual front facility is owned by them, there is actually three ranges at tenoroc. The buildings and facilities are owned by UA. The range is government land. Behind the Pistol ranges is a Shotgun trap range thats never used its off limits.

And to PPGMD i dont see this is changing ownership as the state has always owned the land... There has been major issues with them running the place like the one i had mentioned. Im sure UA will get a nice severance pay for their facilities.
    The FWC contradicts you again (response someone else got from the FWC due to the changes):
    "Thank you for contacting our office regarding the Tenoroc shooting range and for bringing this issue to our attention. After further research, our office found that the Tenoroc range was a concessionaire/ vender relationship. The vender provided a service and kept all of the proceeds. Once the contract with the vender ended, FWC decided to take the range in house where proceeds of the range will go to benefit the Youth Conservation Center. The range will apparently close on Feb. 13th and reopen on the 14th without any lapse of service. Thank you again for contacting our office regarding this important matter. I hope this information is helpful, please let me know if you have any questions or concerns. "
    The range and all the equipment is owned by the FWC. As I guessed at before Ultimate Arms is nothing more then a vendor managing the range for FWC. Texas has a couple of county owned ranges that have a similar relationship with a private vendor and one of them switched vendors (with a similar up roar on a local forum until the details came out), which is why I guessed that Ultimate Arms had the same relationship with FWC.

The FWC saw that there was profit to be had in a time of limited budgets, so they are hoping that they can make money by running the range themselves.

Registered User bdes is on a distinguished road
    On a semi-related note, the last few weekends ive gone to georgia to finish a project car before the move to texas in march. Saturday is car day, Sunday I've been hitting the range for 40-60 range with the mosin (Still refuse to bitch out on a butt pad but damn it all without a jacket on...).

The range I've been going to is a state run range in a state wildlife park, essentially free to use. All it requires is a fishing, hunting, or any other various outdoor licenses. A 3 day fishing pass is only 6 bucks. There is a 100 yard range and a 50 yard range with metal target holders. No Range Officers that I keep reading power trip stories about or rules about picking up your brass, just a covered area with the standard cinder block and T-shaped concrete tables. It would be nice to see some low cost laid back opportunities like that around this area, but that one is also way out in the sticks so it keeps a lot of the riff-raff out i suppose. That's the only range I've got experience at right now so I've got nothing to compare it too either.

Oh and WTF with the AR guys using scopes, bipods/bench rests, and spotters at 75 yards? I've seen multiple do this now not just one or two. Is this a South GA phenomenon or an AR thing? I've promised myself Im not getting a scoped anything til i can at least reliably hit all 5 on a 12" target at 100yds w/o a rest or any of that other garbage. I dont think thatd qualify as anything worth bragging about but its the short term goal for now. I understand they are probably trying for super tight groups but seriously you need a spotter just to see a 75 yd hit when you have a scope already?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information