+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Letters from our Congressmen

TF Admin Clint User is effing awesome ! Clint User is effing awesome ! Clint User is effing awesome ! Clint User is effing awesome ! Clint User is effing awesome ! Clint User is effing awesome ! Clint User is effing awesome ! Clint User is effing awesome ! Clint User is effing awesome ! Clint User is effing awesome ! Clint User is effing awesome ! Clint's Avatar

Letters from our Congressmen

A message from the office of Congressman Gus Bilirakis

Dear Clint:

Thank you for contacting me to share your opposition greater to gun control measures. I appreciate hearing from you.

First, I would like to express my deepest condolences to the families of the victims of the shooting in Newtown, Connecticut. What occurred there was a tragedy in the truest sense of the word. As a father of four boys, I cannot imagine the pain those families are dealing with on a daily basis. My heart goes out to them, and I keep those families, and the children and brave members of the school staff, in my prayers.

The federal government must examine the underlying cause s of such violence. I strongly support the right to responsibly bear arms under our Second Amendment. Over the past twenty years in the United States, gun violence has significantly trended downward, even as gun sales have increased. Law-abiding Americans who exercise their Second Amendment rights are very rarely the aggressors in a violence crime. England, by contrast, has enacted harsh gun control measures, only to see gun violence increase over the past decade by almost 90%. Chicago and Washington D.C. have the some of the most stringent gun control laws of all localities in the United States, and despite that have historically had some of the highest rates of violent crimes committed with firearms in the country. Many Americans legally purchase firearms and use them for sport or self defense without problem. I believe that Washington can come together in a bipartisan manner to enforce current policies that make it more difficult for criminals to obtain guns, as well as policies that will be more effective in treating those with mental illnesses. In this way, Congress can address the root cause of gun violence and help to further reduce gun violence in this country, without infringing on law-abiding citizens' Constitutional rights.

As a resident of Florida's Twelfth District, your comments and opinions are an important source of information to help me carry out my duties as your federal representative. In that regard, please do not hesitate to contact me in the future on any issue important to you. Also, if you would like to be informed more frequently about my work in Congress and in Florida's Twelfth Congressional District, please visit my website at http://www.bilirakis.house.gov to sign up for regular email or to send me a message.

Again, thank you for sharing your thoughts with me.

Sincerely yours,

Gus M. Bilirakis
    Member of Congress
    Seemed like a decent reply to me..

Any more?
    sig goes here

Registered User DocBallistic User is effing awesome ! DocBallistic User is effing awesome ! DocBallistic User is effing awesome ! DocBallistic User is effing awesome ! DocBallistic User is effing awesome ! DocBallistic User is effing awesome ! DocBallistic User is effing awesome ! DocBallistic User is effing awesome ! DocBallistic User is effing awesome ! DocBallistic User is effing awesome ! DocBallistic User is effing awesome !
    wow i would have never expected a letter such as that from anyone in government right now! Happy to see someoe with authority actually gets it!
    gangnam style

Master of his domain. Serbonze User is effing awesome ! Serbonze User is effing awesome ! Serbonze User is effing awesome ! Serbonze User is effing awesome ! Serbonze User is effing awesome ! Serbonze User is effing awesome ! Serbonze User is effing awesome ! Serbonze User is effing awesome ! Serbonze User is effing awesome ! Serbonze User is effing awesome ! Serbonze User is effing awesome ! Serbonze's Avatar
    I thought I was special.

Clint and o1yellowGT like this.

Master of his domain. Serbonze User is effing awesome ! Serbonze User is effing awesome ! Serbonze User is effing awesome ! Serbonze User is effing awesome ! Serbonze User is effing awesome ! Serbonze User is effing awesome ! Serbonze User is effing awesome ! Serbonze User is effing awesome ! Serbonze User is effing awesome ! Serbonze User is effing awesome ! Serbonze User is effing awesome ! Serbonze's Avatar
    That's the first response that I've received from him, and one canned response from Rubio, nothing from Nelson (not that I'm surprised). I've been emailing and calling voicing my concern on a number of different legislative possiblities, and the last email I pretty much demanded a response to know where he stands.

TF Admin Clint User is effing awesome ! Clint User is effing awesome ! Clint User is effing awesome ! Clint User is effing awesome ! Clint User is effing awesome ! Clint User is effing awesome ! Clint User is effing awesome ! Clint User is effing awesome ! Clint User is effing awesome ! Clint User is effing awesome ! Clint User is effing awesome ! Clint's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Serbonze View Post
    That's the first response that I've received from him, and one canned response from Rubio, nothing from Nelson (not that I'm surprised). I've been emailing and calling voicing my concern on a number of different legislative possiblities, and the last email I pretty much demanded a response to know where he stands.
    Same here, as far as responses. Only other one I've gotten is Rubio's "Thanks for contacting me, I'll reply shortly" canned response.
    sig goes here

Registered User BlitzK User is effing awesome ! BlitzK User is effing awesome ! BlitzK User is effing awesome ! BlitzK User is effing awesome ! BlitzK User is effing awesome ! BlitzK User is effing awesome ! BlitzK User is effing awesome ! BlitzK User is effing awesome ! BlitzK User is effing awesome ! BlitzK User is effing awesome ! BlitzK User is effing awesome !
    If you haven't sent a letter to yours, DO SO NOW! Even if they're "pro-gun", send them a letter. Even a couple of sentences to let them know how you feel is better than sitting on your hands.

Here's the reply I got from mine:

------

Thank you for letting me know of your opposition to new legislation addressing firearm purchases and ownership after the horrific school shootings that recently took place in New England.

As you are well aware, on the morning of December 14th, a gunman in Newtown, Connecticut murdered his own mother before attacking Sandy Hook Elementary School, killing 20 innocent young children and six adults. As a father and a grandfather, I am disturbed by this senseless act of violence. The victims and their families will remain in my prayers.

Some individuals in the media and in Washington believe this attack shows the need for new gun control policies. Like you, I too understand the importance of our Second Amendment rights. As a gun owner myself, please know that I have and will continue to remain opposed to any measure which unduly restricts the individual's Second Amendment right to own and possess a firearm. After having to defend my family and my home using a gun not once, but twice, I know all too well how important this right is to so many law abiding citizens throughout the country.

We also have many laws already in place which should be adequately enforced against those who are irresponsible or criminal in their use of firearms. Accordingly, it is important that we take a cautious approach to any new gun laws in order to ensure that the rights of individuals are appropriately balanced with the public safety of our communities, our schools, and our homes.

Again, thank you for taking the time to contact me. It is my hope that you will continue to share with me your thoughts on legislative issues important to you. With best wishes and personal regards, I am

Bill Young
    Member of Congress

Visit my online office at http://www.house.gov/young.
    Clint likes this.

Pistol Life o1yellowGT User is effing awesome ! o1yellowGT User is effing awesome ! o1yellowGT User is effing awesome ! o1yellowGT User is effing awesome ! o1yellowGT User is effing awesome ! o1yellowGT User is effing awesome ! o1yellowGT User is effing awesome ! o1yellowGT User is effing awesome ! o1yellowGT User is effing awesome ! o1yellowGT User is effing awesome ! o1yellowGT User is effing awesome !
    Thank you for participating in We the People to speak out on an issue that matters to you.
    HERE'S WHAT I GOT

Let’s not let arguments over the Constitution’s Second Amendment violate the spirit of its First. President Obama believes that the Second Amendment guarantees an individual right to bear arms. However, the Constitution not only guarantees an individual right to bear arms, but also enshrines the freedom of speech and the freedom of the press -- fundamental principles that are essential to our democracy. Americans may disagree on matters of public policy and express those disagreements vigorously, but no one should be punished by the government simply because he or she expressed a view on the Second Amendment -- or any other matter of public concern.

We recognize that the tragedy in Newtown, Connecticut, sparked an intense, and at times emotional, national conversation about the steps we can take as a country to reduce gun violence. In fact, your petition is one of many on the issue, and President Obama personally responded by sharing his views on this important issue.

Look, like the majority of Americans, I believe that the Second Amendment guarantees an individual right to bear arms. This country has a strong tradition of gun ownership that's been handed down from generation to generation. Obviously across the country there are regional differences. There are differences between how people feel in urban areas and rural areas. And the fact is the vast majority of gun owners in America are responsible -- they buy their guns legally and they use them safely, whether for hunting or sport shooting, collection or protection.

But you know what, I am also betting that the majority -- the vast majority -- of responsible, law-abiding gun owners would be some of the first to say that we should be able to keep an irresponsible, law-breaking few from buying a weapon of war. I'm willing to bet that they don't think that using a gun and using common sense are incompatible ideas -- that an unbalanced man shouldn't be able to get his hands on a military-style assault rifle so easily; that in this age of technology, we should be able to check someone's criminal records before he or she can check out at a gun show; that if we work harder to keep guns out of the hands of dangerous people, there would be fewer atrocities like the one in Newtown -- or any of the lesser-known tragedies that visit small towns and big cities all across America every day.
    Last edited by o1yellowGT; 01-09-2013 at 05:00 PM.

^ that was from signing a petition. Don't waste your time with that. Call AND email your two senators and representative. Call both the local and DC offices.

You have 2 Senators and 1 Representative to contact. This link will help you to to email your Representative, both Senators, and the President.

http://www.congress.org/congressorg/...046526&type=ML

You may need to know your full zip code. If you don't know it, you can look it up here.

http://webapps.usps.com/zip4/zcl_0_l...ress2=&city=PR..

Subject: Proposed Firearm Legislation

Due to the recent events at Sandy Hook elementary school we now face renewed threats to our Constitutional rights. While I understand how painful the loss must be for those touched by this tragedy, blaming firearms or their owners and punishing them is not the answer to the challenges we face as a nation.

We already have laws that were violated by a man who was likely psychotic and heavily medicated. This man was stopped by the mandatory background check from purchasing firearms. He then decided to murder his mother and take her legally owned firearms to commit this tragedy.

If your true goal is to protect our children, then enact legislation that will do that. Banning firearms that are rarely used in crime (less than 1% of the time) is not going to stop such tragedies, that was proven in 1999 when the Columbine shooting took place under the 1994 ban. Do something meaningful, please. Make committing the insane easier. Put armed security guards in our schools. But do not strip us of our rights and property by passing additional anti-gun laws that have historically had no positive effect on crime in our nation or others.
    Clint and o1yellowGT like this.

is doing your girlfriend Duceanahalf User is effing awesome ! Duceanahalf User is effing awesome ! Duceanahalf User is effing awesome ! Duceanahalf User is effing awesome ! Duceanahalf User is effing awesome ! Duceanahalf User is effing awesome ! Duceanahalf User is effing awesome ! Duceanahalf User is effing awesome ! Duceanahalf User is effing awesome ! Duceanahalf User is effing awesome ! Duceanahalf User is effing awesome ! Duceanahalf's Avatar
    From Bill Young.

January 8, 2013

Thank you for letting me know of your opposition to new legislation addressing firearm purchases and ownership after the horrific school shootings that recently took place in New England.

As you are well aware, on the morning of December 14th, a gunman in Newtown, Connecticut murdered his own mother before attacking Sandy Hook Elementary School, killing 20 innocent young children and six adults. As a father and a grandfather, I am disturbed by this senseless act of violence. The victims and their families will remain in my prayers.

Some individuals in the media and in Washington believe this attack shows the need for new gun control policies. Like you, I too understand the importance of our Second Amendment rights. As a gun owner myself, please know that I have and will continue to remain opposed to any measure which unduly restricts the individual's Second Amendment right to own and possess a firearm. After having to defend my family and my home using a gun not once, but twice, I know all too well how important this right is to so many law abiding citizens throughout the country.

We also have many laws already in place which should be adequately enforced against those who are irresponsible or criminal in their use of firearms. Accordingly, it is important that we take a cautious approach to any new gun laws in order to ensure that the rights of individuals are appropriately balanced with the public safety of our communities, our schools, and our homes.

Again, thank you for taking the time to contact me. It is my hope that you will continue to share with me your thoughts on legislative issues important to you. With best wishes and personal regards, I am

Bill Young
    Member of Congress

Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, — That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it

Pistol Life o1yellowGT User is effing awesome ! o1yellowGT User is effing awesome ! o1yellowGT User is effing awesome ! o1yellowGT User is effing awesome ! o1yellowGT User is effing awesome ! o1yellowGT User is effing awesome ! o1yellowGT User is effing awesome ! o1yellowGT User is effing awesome ! o1yellowGT User is effing awesome ! o1yellowGT User is effing awesome ! o1yellowGT User is effing awesome !
    You have 2 Senators and 1 Representative to contact. This link will help you to to email your Representative, both Senators, and the President.

http://www.congress.org/congressorg/...046526&type=ML

You may need to know your full zip code. If you don't know it, you can look it up here.

http://webapps.usps.com/zip4/zcl_0_l...ress2=&city=PR..

Subject: Proposed Firearm Legislation
    Thanks email sent

is doing your girlfriend Duceanahalf User is effing awesome ! Duceanahalf User is effing awesome ! Duceanahalf User is effing awesome ! Duceanahalf User is effing awesome ! Duceanahalf User is effing awesome ! Duceanahalf User is effing awesome ! Duceanahalf User is effing awesome ! Duceanahalf User is effing awesome ! Duceanahalf User is effing awesome ! Duceanahalf User is effing awesome ! Duceanahalf User is effing awesome ! Duceanahalf's Avatar
    Another one today, this time from Marco Rubio

Thank you for writing to me regarding the tragedy in Newtown, Connecticut. I share your concern for the victims of this tragedy.

My heart breaks for the victims and families impacted by this senseless act of violence. In a world that can at times be defined by its darkness, children are a reminder of what is good, cheerful and beautiful about life. An act of violence against these defenseless young people, as well as the faculty and staff who dedicate themselves daily to educating and caring for them, is a deed of unconscionable evil. I pray that God holds Newtown close as the community continues to heal from this tragedy.

In the aftermath of this unspeakable tragedy, like millions of Americans, I am looking for public policy changes that might prevent such a horrible event from happening again. I continue to be a strong supporter of the Second Amendment to the U.S. Constitution which guarantees citizens the right to safely and responsibly bear arms. At the same time, I have always been open to measures that would keep guns out of the hands of criminals and the mentally ill. In light of this horrible tragedy, I am open to new ideas to prevent mass tragedies like this from happening again.

It is an honor and a privilege to serve as your United States Senator. I appreciate your concern regarding this situation. If I can ever be of assistance to you, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Sincerely,

Marco Rubio
    United States Senator

Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, — That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it

Registered User BlitzK User is effing awesome ! BlitzK User is effing awesome ! BlitzK User is effing awesome ! BlitzK User is effing awesome ! BlitzK User is effing awesome ! BlitzK User is effing awesome ! BlitzK User is effing awesome ! BlitzK User is effing awesome ! BlitzK User is effing awesome ! BlitzK User is effing awesome ! BlitzK User is effing awesome !
    I got the same one from Rubio.... fucking pussy-ass response from him!

Bill Nelson

Dear Mr. xxxxxx:

Thank you for contacting me about policy proposals that seek to reduce gun violence in the wake of the tragedy in Newtown.

I am a hunter and have always owned guns. I support the Second Amendment. But when assault rifles are used to kill children, it's time for America to act.

Solutions for reducing gun violence must address many areas, from protecting law enforcement and keeping weapons out of the hands of criminals, to school safety, access to mental health services, and confronting a culture that sometimes glorifies violence.

I support reinstating the assault weapons ban and restoring the 10-round limit for ammunition magazines. And, I support universal background checks so that we can know if person buying a weapon has a criminal record.

I appreciate hearing your views on this very important issue, and I will keep them in mind in the days ahead as the Senate debates gun control issues. Please do not hesitate to contact me in the future.

Sincerely,
    Bill Nelson

Registered User maxpower220 is on a distinguished road
    Got the same from Nelson, no relying on him for support

Caught Somewhere in Time nipster User is effing awesome ! nipster User is effing awesome ! nipster User is effing awesome ! nipster User is effing awesome ! nipster User is effing awesome ! nipster User is effing awesome ! nipster User is effing awesome ! nipster User is effing awesome ! nipster User is effing awesome ! nipster User is effing awesome ! nipster User is effing awesome ! nipster's Avatar
    How long did it take for you all to get responses? I have not gotten any back yet.

The real problem here is that the system is irrevocably broken. It shouldn't matter WTF Bill Nelson thinks. His job is to represent his constituants, not his personal agenda. Looking at the results of the pole on his page, he is clearly not doing that.

Registered User clear User is effing awesome ! clear User is effing awesome ! clear User is effing awesome ! clear User is effing awesome ! clear User is effing awesome ! clear User is effing awesome ! clear User is effing awesome ! clear User is effing awesome ! clear User is effing awesome ! clear User is effing awesome ! clear User is effing awesome ! clear's Avatar
    The real problem here is that the system is irrevocably broken. It shouldn't matter WTF Bill Nelson thinks. His job is to represent his constituants, not his personal agenda. Looking at the results of the pole on his page, he is clearly not doing that.
    Government doesnt understand this.
    XYNaPSE: I'm not liberal. lmao You jackwagon!
    clear: Then what are you? I dont know anything further away from moderate than liberal.
    XYNaPSE: I like some liberal views and some conservative views but none of the extreme. So what does that make me?
    Josh: Full of shit.

There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; The other is to refuse to accept what is true.
    -Soren Kierkegaard

Caught Somewhere in Time nipster User is effing awesome ! nipster User is effing awesome ! nipster User is effing awesome ! nipster User is effing awesome ! nipster User is effing awesome ! nipster User is effing awesome ! nipster User is effing awesome ! nipster User is effing awesome ! nipster User is effing awesome ! nipster User is effing awesome ! nipster User is effing awesome ! nipster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by clear View Post
    Government doesnt understand this.
    They wont until they get voted out of office.

Dumbfucks like Jim Normal and Ronda Storms on the local level, finally got voted out of office, we need to do it at the statewide level.

And Marco Rubio would do best to tread lightly with some of his borderline anti-gun rhetoric if he wants to have any sort of political future. His wetback ass will be voted out of office right quick.

Dear Sean,

Thank you for writing to me regarding the tragedy in Newtown, Connecticut. I share your concern for the victims of this tragedy.

My heart breaks for the victims and families impacted by this senseless act of violence. In a world that can at times be defined by its darkness, children are a reminder of what is good, cheerful and beautiful about life. An act of violence against these defenseless young people, as well as the faculty and staff who dedicate themselves daily to educating and caring for them, is a deed of unconscionable evil. I pray that God holds Newtown close as the community continues to heal from this tragedy.

In the aftermath of this unspeakable tragedy, like millions of Americans, I am looking for public policy changes that might prevent such a horrible event from happening again. I continue to be a strong supporter of the Second Amendment to the U.S. Constitution which guarantees citizens the right to safely and responsibly bear arms. At the same time, I have always been open to measures that would keep guns out of the hands of criminals and the mentally ill. In light of this horrible tragedy, I am open to new ideas to prevent mass tragedies like this from happening again.

It is an honor and a privilege to serve as your United States Senator. I appreciate your concern regarding this situation. If I can ever be of assistance to you, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Sincerely,

Marco Rubio
    United States Senator

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information