+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pulled the trigger on my latest SBR...

CYFG PPGMD User is effing awesome ! PPGMD User is effing awesome ! PPGMD User is effing awesome ! PPGMD User is effing awesome ! PPGMD User is effing awesome ! PPGMD User is effing awesome ! PPGMD User is effing awesome ! PPGMD User is effing awesome ! PPGMD User is effing awesome ! PPGMD User is effing awesome ! PPGMD User is effing awesome ! PPGMD's Avatar

Pulled the trigger on my latest SBR...

Well I've finally decided what I want to do with the Anvil Arms Lower that I have had lying around.

I am going to build another SBR, but this time it is going to be a night vision build. I've been eying doing a night vision build ever since SHOT when it was announced that Laser Devices was going to do civilian legal IR lasers, today I am starting down that road.

Tentative Build Plan:
    Anvil Arms Lower
    G&R Lower Parts Kit
    Magpul MOE trigger guard - FDE
    BCM 6 position Receiver Extension
    Magpul CTR Milspec Stock - FDE
    Tangodown BG-16 Battlegrip - FDE
    BCM 12.5" Standard Upper Group
    BCM Bolt Carrier Group
    BCM Gunfighter Charging Handle Medium
    Troy TRX Extreme Battlerail 11" - FDE
    ADM One piece Absolute Co-witness Mount
    Aimpoint T-1 Micro
    Magpul MOE Rear Sight - FDE
    Daniel Defense Fixed Front Sight
    Noveske QD Receiver End Plate
    Surefire M720V RAID - Tan
    Laser Devices Class I DBAL-I2 - TAN
    AAC 51t Blackout Flashhider Mount

I ordered everything to complete the upper except sights, and electronics. As I need the upper to get painted with the lower after engraving. My engraving this time will be the Monster Hunter International logo (here) I am just going to do the horned smiley face, not the text. After that it is going to get painted flat dark earth.

It is going to take some time before I complete it including the night vision, but I will get this done. I will also likely order an AAC Mini 4, so I have a shorter lighter can for this build, as I am once again extending my barrel length.
    Diligentia - Vis - Celeritas
    Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the night. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Dont be so picky! I wasnt ErikTaylor User is effing awesome ! ErikTaylor User is effing awesome ! ErikTaylor User is effing awesome ! ErikTaylor User is effing awesome ! ErikTaylor User is effing awesome ! ErikTaylor User is effing awesome ! ErikTaylor User is effing awesome ! ErikTaylor User is effing awesome ! ErikTaylor User is effing awesome ! ErikTaylor User is effing awesome ! ErikTaylor User is effing awesome ! ErikTaylor's Avatar
    That looks like a quality build there PPGMD. You definitely aren't skimping there on quality, which is nice to see.

Make sure you buy a new LDI DBAL I2 unit and not an old one. From there inception (January '11 to June '11) the first batch of units have been plagued with excessive battery drain issue, found here. In the thread as long as you buy a unit that was made after July 1st you'll be good to go as those units have been updated with the new circuitry.

If you want to save a couple of bones why not use a scout light and get the vampire head (KM2)? I have the mini scout on mine and currently looking for the KM2 head because I myself just got into nightvision.

What NV unit are you going with? I bought a PVS14 from TNVC. They are a bunch of great guys over there.

ETA: Diggin that logo too!
    Last edited by ErikTaylor; 10-31-2011 at 12:08 PM.

CYFG PPGMD User is effing awesome ! PPGMD User is effing awesome ! PPGMD User is effing awesome ! PPGMD User is effing awesome ! PPGMD User is effing awesome ! PPGMD User is effing awesome ! PPGMD User is effing awesome ! PPGMD User is effing awesome ! PPGMD User is effing awesome ! PPGMD User is effing awesome ! PPGMD User is effing awesome ! PPGMD's Avatar
    I never skimp on quality, though technically going to BCM was a step down as I was originally going to use Noveske. But I decided that the Troy rail would provide me better options for tape switch positioning, and if I wasn't going to use a Switchblock (which I couldn't with the 11" TRX) I might as well use BCM.

I've been watching the LDI issues thread, and I will likely make the DBAL as my last purchase, as it also seems that LDI has slowly been increasing the IR laser power. I am hoping that perhaps we will see a jump to 1mw.

The Scout doesn't provide on option to turn the light on from the light body, also it is a bit long, I want to keep the attachments as short as possible so I have plenty of room for a good grip on the rifle (so the 952V is out). IMO that is the most important thing, all the electronics are useless if I can shoot it well and quickly. Also the RAID also has the benefit of selectable IR output, which is beneficial to prevent the DBAL from being overpowered since the Class I don't have IR illumination.

I should also mention that the KM2 is supposed to only be used with two battery scout lights.

As far as the NVGs, I am not sure. The TNVC Night Enforcers are tempting with the warranty. Also the PVS-21s are super sexy, but I figure if they don't post a price, it is probably something I couldn't bring myself to spend on one item.

My engraver has been in the night vision industry for years so when I go to get my lower engraved I will likely talk with him about it.
    Last time I was there he had some PVS-7 sided Gen 3 TFTs, they were meant for the Predator program, but got surplussed after they switched to PVS-14 tubes. So I might buy one of those eventually, as they would be something cheap to put on a camera, or let others use like during a NV hog hunt.
    Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the night. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

knows Gun Fu Gixxer has a reputation beyond repute Gixxer has a reputation beyond repute Gixxer has a reputation beyond repute Gixxer has a reputation beyond repute Gixxer has a reputation beyond repute Gixxer has a reputation beyond repute Gixxer has a reputation beyond repute Gixxer has a reputation beyond repute Gixxer has a reputation beyond repute Gixxer has a reputation beyond repute Gixxer has a reputation beyond repute
    That sounds awesome, interesting night-setup as well, good luck and keep us updated with pics.
    I love recoil.

Dont be so picky! I wasnt ErikTaylor User is effing awesome ! ErikTaylor User is effing awesome ! ErikTaylor User is effing awesome ! ErikTaylor User is effing awesome ! ErikTaylor User is effing awesome ! ErikTaylor User is effing awesome ! ErikTaylor User is effing awesome ! ErikTaylor User is effing awesome ! ErikTaylor User is effing awesome ! ErikTaylor User is effing awesome ! ErikTaylor User is effing awesome ! ErikTaylor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PPGMD View Post
    I should also mention that the KM2 is supposed to only be used with two battery scout lights.
    Well that sucks to hear, and that's news to me. Maybe I should jump on one of the M952V's I found for under $250. It has the KM3 head. That's a good point, I forgot it was going on an SBR so you'd want as little attachments as possible. Brain fart.

T-Town Pulverizing Co. SuperDroo User is effing awesome ! SuperDroo User is effing awesome ! SuperDroo User is effing awesome ! SuperDroo User is effing awesome ! SuperDroo User is effing awesome ! SuperDroo User is effing awesome ! SuperDroo User is effing awesome ! SuperDroo User is effing awesome ! SuperDroo User is effing awesome ! SuperDroo User is effing awesome ! SuperDroo User is effing awesome !
    I never skimp on quality, though technically going to BCM was a step down as I was originally going to use Noveske. But I decided that the Troy rail would provide me better options for tape switch positioning, and if I wasn't going to use a Switchblock (which I couldn't with the 11" TRX) I might as well use BCM.
    HEY! BCM isn't a step down, I love my BCM. It's better than both of my other cheesey carbines... when I clean it regularly...

Quote Originally Posted by SuperDroo View Post
    HEY! BCM isn't a step down, I love my BCM. It's better than both of my other cheesey carbines... when I clean it regularly...
    To a Noveske it is...Lol. My N4 is a sweet shooter and I love it. However BCM makes a top much rifle, just several hundreds of dollars less than Noveske!

T-Town Pulverizing Co. SuperDroo User is effing awesome ! SuperDroo User is effing awesome ! SuperDroo User is effing awesome ! SuperDroo User is effing awesome ! SuperDroo User is effing awesome ! SuperDroo User is effing awesome ! SuperDroo User is effing awesome ! SuperDroo User is effing awesome ! SuperDroo User is effing awesome ! SuperDroo User is effing awesome ! SuperDroo User is effing awesome !
    hmmmm I'll have to look into one of these "Noveske" contraptions.

Firefighter/EMT gearheadjunkie2 User is effing awesome ! gearheadjunkie2 User is effing awesome ! gearheadjunkie2 User is effing awesome ! gearheadjunkie2 User is effing awesome ! gearheadjunkie2 User is effing awesome ! gearheadjunkie2 User is effing awesome ! gearheadjunkie2 User is effing awesome ! gearheadjunkie2 User is effing awesome ! gearheadjunkie2 User is effing awesome ! gearheadjunkie2 User is effing awesome ! gearheadjunkie2 User is effing awesome ! gearheadjunkie2's Avatar
    hmmmm I'll have to look into one of these "Noveske" contraptions.
    boom baby! LOL
    Video Reviews:
    www.youtube.com/fireman1291
    Facebook Fanpage:
    https://www.facebook.com/NFAreviewchannel
    Email me for prices on Firearms/Suppressors
    NFAReview@gunshinearmory.com

Firefighter/EMT gearheadjunkie2 User is effing awesome ! gearheadjunkie2 User is effing awesome ! gearheadjunkie2 User is effing awesome ! gearheadjunkie2 User is effing awesome ! gearheadjunkie2 User is effing awesome ! gearheadjunkie2 User is effing awesome ! gearheadjunkie2 User is effing awesome ! gearheadjunkie2 User is effing awesome ! gearheadjunkie2 User is effing awesome ! gearheadjunkie2 User is effing awesome ! gearheadjunkie2 User is effing awesome ! gearheadjunkie2's Avatar
    Quality build PPGMD. Update with pics.
    Video Reviews:
    Facebook Fanpage:

Registered User RAYC4G63 has a reputation beyond repute RAYC4G63 has a reputation beyond repute RAYC4G63 has a reputation beyond repute RAYC4G63 has a reputation beyond repute RAYC4G63 has a reputation beyond repute RAYC4G63 has a reputation beyond repute RAYC4G63 has a reputation beyond repute RAYC4G63 has a reputation beyond repute RAYC4G63 has a reputation beyond repute RAYC4G63 has a reputation beyond repute RAYC4G63 has a reputation beyond repute RAYC4G63's Avatar
    Hey gearheadjunkie2 what lower is that?
    If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace.
    Thomas Paine

Call me StuttterButtter top_acel User is effing awesome ! top_acel User is effing awesome ! top_acel User is effing awesome ! top_acel User is effing awesome ! top_acel User is effing awesome ! top_acel User is effing awesome ! top_acel User is effing awesome ! top_acel User is effing awesome ! top_acel User is effing awesome ! top_acel User is effing awesome ! top_acel User is effing awesome ! top_acel's Avatar
    If im not mistaken i think its a Noveske. Just got one to do my .300 AAC Blackout SBR build
    Why tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death?

Thats a Noveske lower(Form1 SBR'd) and upper. With KAC, magpul, and LMT parts.
    Video Reviews:
    Facebook Fanpage:

Holy shit that's sweet. What ammo you got in them mags?

Registered User RAYC4G63 has a reputation beyond repute RAYC4G63 has a reputation beyond repute RAYC4G63 has a reputation beyond repute RAYC4G63 has a reputation beyond repute RAYC4G63 has a reputation beyond repute RAYC4G63 has a reputation beyond repute RAYC4G63 has a reputation beyond repute RAYC4G63 has a reputation beyond repute RAYC4G63 has a reputation beyond repute RAYC4G63 has a reputation beyond repute RAYC4G63 has a reputation beyond repute RAYC4G63's Avatar
    Nice!
    Thomas Paine

Firemedic / Arms dealer M249SAW has a reputation beyond repute M249SAW has a reputation beyond repute M249SAW has a reputation beyond repute M249SAW has a reputation beyond repute M249SAW has a reputation beyond repute M249SAW has a reputation beyond repute M249SAW has a reputation beyond repute M249SAW has a reputation beyond repute M249SAW has a reputation beyond repute M249SAW has a reputation beyond repute M249SAW has a reputation beyond repute
    It is going to take some time before I complete it including the night vision, but I will get this done. I will also likely order an AAC Mini 4, so I have a shorter lighter can for this build, as I am once again extending my barrel length.
    Why not use a shorter rail and get an AAC SPR/M4 can?

Sound reduction will be much better and not add too much more than the Mini 4 since its a reflex mount.

Ill get an updated pic with the SPR/M4 can clears ATF. Hopfully soon since Im almost at the 5 month mark.

Firemedic / Arms dealer M249SAW has a reputation beyond repute M249SAW has a reputation beyond repute M249SAW has a reputation beyond repute M249SAW has a reputation beyond repute M249SAW has a reputation beyond repute M249SAW has a reputation beyond repute M249SAW has a reputation beyond repute M249SAW has a reputation beyond repute M249SAW has a reputation beyond repute M249SAW has a reputation beyond repute M249SAW has a reputation beyond repute
    Holy shit that's sweet. What ammo you got in them mags?
    Look like Hornady TAP

Quote Originally Posted by M249SAW View Post
    Why not use a shorter rail and get an AAC SPR/M4 can?

Sound reduction will be much better and not add too much more than the Mini 4 since its a reflex mount.
    Space for mount accessories while still having room for an excellent grip on the rifle, is why I went for the extended rail. For me the ability to shoot the rifle quickly and accurately is the most important thing.

The exact setup will vary depending on the switchology of the Class I DBAL (no one has posted details but word is that it varies from the military version), and how it works during range practice and training. But likely I will have a rail mounted fixed front sight, and tape switches on the top rail behind it, and the IR laser, and light at 3 and 9 o'clock all the way forward, with my handstop on the bottom rail. That gives me a good 5-6" of space for my grip.

It will look very similar to this, except with a bit more space, as the light obstructs my grip just a bit when I transition to my weak side shoulder.

Depending on how this works out, I might setup that upper in a similar way.

Also I already have an AAC 416-SD, so I already use the 51tooth mounts on all my other 5.56mm rifles adding a new mounting system to the mix just doesn't make sense to me. Also the SPR/M4 is adds about the same length as the M4-2000, where as the Mini-4 is shorter then both.

Well I've managed to order everything I need except the following:
    Surefire M720V RAID - Tan
    Laser Devices Class I DBAL-I2 - TAN
    Surefire SR-D-IT Tape Switch
    Bad-Ass safety lever set - Flat Dark Earth

Of course these four items are almost as expensive as everything else.

But I got everything that needs to be painted, so I need so engraving, and painting will be next.

I also decided to go with a LaRue LT751 mount since it would be less weight than the ADM mount.

Also purchased a couple of items not on the list, both from Impact Weapon Components. They make some cool shit that attaches directly to hand guards. I bought the following:
    RADIAL Millennium Scout Light MOUNT-N-SLOT
    Weapon Control MOUNT-N-SLOT - Hand Stop

If you want to mount of light on your carbine, and don't want to mount a set of rails I would seriously consider some of their products.

Sounds like a sweet build can't wait to see the finished rifle.
    Thomas Paine

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information