+ Reply to Thread

Thread: sks question

Registered User Eluzzionz has a reputation beyond repute Eluzzionz has a reputation beyond repute Eluzzionz has a reputation beyond repute Eluzzionz has a reputation beyond repute Eluzzionz has a reputation beyond repute Eluzzionz has a reputation beyond repute Eluzzionz has a reputation beyond repute Eluzzionz has a reputation beyond repute Eluzzionz has a reputation beyond repute Eluzzionz has a reputation beyond repute Eluzzionz has a reputation beyond repute Eluzzionz's Avatar

sks question

so i picked up an sks recently and have two mags for it (steel) which i know these things are suppose to be garbage and ill possibly be picking up a tapco 20rd(heard best experience with these) ..

so anyway..when i first bought this gun i used one of the mags shot a few rounds cycled perfectly good to go..well today i used the other mag(the one thats actually stamped made in usa) and first round wouldn't feed correctly..ejected next round fired third round didn't feed correctly..
    now here is where the issue happened..

i pulled trigger thinking the bolt was in fact all the way forward, but it wasn't...so it didn't fire..didn't make a "click" sound or anything...so i assumed what it was..the bolt wasn't all the way forward..now thankfully i kept the gun aimed in a safe manner because as soon as i went to touch the bolt to push it forward whatever it was caught on...released and BOOM...yes i shit my pants...i unloaded it took it apart cleaned it again made sure the pin wasn't stick again...(which i did all this right after acquiring it)

anyway put it back together and noticed that the one magazine was getting caught up the other wasn't..

now my question is..with the bolt pretty much 90% closed but not 100% why is it letting it "fire" ..i mean its not "clicking" however once the bolt gets uncaught it goes off...so is this normal for an sks or is there an underlying issue??

thanks!

Administrator TNathe User is effing awesome ! TNathe User is effing awesome ! TNathe User is effing awesome ! TNathe User is effing awesome ! TNathe User is effing awesome ! TNathe User is effing awesome ! TNathe User is effing awesome ! TNathe User is effing awesome ! TNathe User is effing awesome ! TNathe User is effing awesome ! TNathe User is effing awesome ! TNathe's Avatar
    Sks...mags? Ruined it. My $.02. Its the mag as u obviously know. Maybe u can salvage it with a file where its getting caught?

Registered User Eluzzionz has a reputation beyond repute Eluzzionz has a reputation beyond repute Eluzzionz has a reputation beyond repute Eluzzionz has a reputation beyond repute Eluzzionz has a reputation beyond repute Eluzzionz has a reputation beyond repute Eluzzionz has a reputation beyond repute Eluzzionz has a reputation beyond repute Eluzzionz has a reputation beyond repute Eluzzionz has a reputation beyond repute Eluzzionz has a reputation beyond repute Eluzzionz's Avatar
    well i got it for a good price with a LOT of ammo so it is what it is.....im not a fan of it either but again for price + ammo it was worth it and might have it sold so i can get an original sks stock/mags etc..

but again the issue is should the rifle release the firing mechanism without the bolt being completely closed...the mag it self im just going to get rid of and probably go with a tapco 20round that i can just clip load vs using it as detachable mags cause honestly i hate these fking things..

Registered User neonnight User is effing awesome ! neonnight User is effing awesome ! neonnight User is effing awesome ! neonnight User is effing awesome ! neonnight User is effing awesome ! neonnight User is effing awesome ! neonnight User is effing awesome ! neonnight User is effing awesome ! neonnight User is effing awesome ! neonnight User is effing awesome ! neonnight User is effing awesome ! neonnight's Avatar
    forget about the duck bill mags they never work right. look for a factory fixed mag and shoot the think like it was originally built for i have played with alot of these mag conversations and they are just a waist of time. also the fire pin just kinda floats in the bolt of an sks there is no spring. so make sure its clean!! i have heard of the fire pins getting dirty or having cosmo on it and staying out. there is a fire pin conversion that adds a spring to the pin. they seem pretty good but i never had an issue with an unspringed pin.

yea the pin is clean and floats correctly, thats not the issue im having(its not slam firing)...

and honestly if i can return it back to stock i will, im looking for parts but if i can't then i have to make it 922r compliant and unfortunately the only way to do that would be a synthetic stock(which is has now and again i hate but im willing to change that for the wood monte carlo stock which is similar to stock but longer butt stock for a better length of pull...and then a us made magazine...which like said a lot of ppl say the tapco 20 rounds work..any other i hear the same nothing but problems..

but again the issue im having isn't just the magazine..the one magazine functions fine ...the thing im curious most about is should it release if the bolt isn't all the way closed..

for instance..the bolt is 90% closed on an ak..pull trigger nothing happens..shove the bolt forward to 100% nothing happens but its ready to fire now...

now for the sks what happened was 90% closed nothing happened, no noise at least..went to unhook it since it was caught..didnt even bump it at this point and the gun fired...again the pin free floats..i took it apart right after and it moves back and forth and didn't feel to be getting stuck..but i went ahead and cleaned everything again reassembled and with that magazine unloaded i was cycling and it would get caught again..id pull trigger nothing would make a noise or anything..id wiggle the bolt a little and it would launch forward and "fire" ...as in gun was no longer "cocked" like it would be if it were an AK..

sorry if this is so much or not making much sense but trying to explain best way i can..

well i found the problem, apparently i have negative engagement when pulling the trigger which means my hammer moves slightly forward..so if the weapon is jarred the hammer takes path of least resistance and discharges so i have to modify my sear slightly to get a positive engagement so this won't happen...

idk if this is common for sks or not but ill see what i can do.

Pistol Life o1yellowGT User is effing awesome ! o1yellowGT User is effing awesome ! o1yellowGT User is effing awesome ! o1yellowGT User is effing awesome ! o1yellowGT User is effing awesome ! o1yellowGT User is effing awesome ! o1yellowGT User is effing awesome ! o1yellowGT User is effing awesome ! o1yellowGT User is effing awesome ! o1yellowGT User is effing awesome ! o1yellowGT User is effing awesome !
    I have had an sks for a few years . it isnt perfect but it always goes boom .

yea i took my trigger apart and my sear is slanted downward at the back which is causing the negative engagement...

i guess its either replace or try to have some work done...i see albanian sears are like $7 and people say they work on the chinese so i may go that route.
    Last edited by Eluzzionz; 11-29-2012 at 08:17 PM.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information