+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: USF vs. UCF

Why so Miata? Orion ZyGarian has a reputation beyond repute Orion ZyGarian has a reputation beyond repute Orion ZyGarian has a reputation beyond repute Orion ZyGarian has a reputation beyond repute Orion ZyGarian has a reputation beyond repute Orion ZyGarian has a reputation beyond repute Orion ZyGarian has a reputation beyond repute Orion ZyGarian has a reputation beyond repute Orion ZyGarian has a reputation beyond repute Orion ZyGarian has a reputation beyond repute Orion ZyGarian has a reputation beyond repute Orion ZyGarian's Avatar

USF vs. UCF

Okay, well I've been doing some research...and originally I had planned to go to USF (for the past 3 years now actually) for Mechanical Engineering, but recently one of my teachers mentioned that UCF actually was known for engineering and has an EXCELLENT program. I've been visiting the crap out of both websites and finding out whatever I can, and so far I actually cant justify one much more than the other...

Pretty much everything is even...Reeves BMW isnt even a mile away from USF and I'm hoping to just transfer over to whichever BMW is by the college I go to so I still have a job doing this stuff. Fields BMW is about 4 miles away, and its on I4, so thats a big disadvantage. My brother has his own branch of WaMu very close by to USF as well and he's really cool, I could drop by his place and hang out with him like I never really got the chance, plus get alot of financial advice and such

On the other side, I've got some stats right here and UCF (who supposedly has a better engineering department) is a bit more suburban (which I'm used to and rather like, though city isnt bad really either)...UCF has a 55% admission rate as opposed to USF's 51% though thats kinda hard to compare since different people applied differently and stuff. A big thing that jumped out though is 75% average of finanical aid met at UCF as opposed to 32% at USF, so I might be able to live in some better housing and stuff, and I plan to live on campus for at least my first year. I really like UCF's virtual campus and stuff that I've seen, though Tampa is the technological capital of like the U.S. when it comes to WiFi and FIOS or fiber optic whatever.

Back to USF...theres definetly a bigger Supra community here in Tampa, especially MkIIIs. I'm not as big into them anymore thanks to having to focus on college, but it'd be nice to know some 7M friends. Off the top of my head, only Jessica Barton and her b/f reside in Orlando and I dont know many other Supra people off the top of my head as opposed to knowing a few MkIII and MkIV people alike in Tampa.

So I need some additional opinions and such. Personal experiences with the colleges as well as Orlando opinions...so far I like Tampa, but I am reminded that my education is more important than what city I live in. And I'm staying in Florida for the 4 year term.

Thoughts? Opinions? I know this is a Tampa forum so it might be biased, but any more opinons are cool.

Oh yeah...wtf am I doing on TF instead of TR

ASE: Brakes
    Yea..that very well could have been the most retarded idea I've ever heard, but .. do it anyway. -TheShow50h

I can get you Pampered Chef stuff. Just sayin'

RIP JZDeLorean and Tyler

Living the dream GSRBoy has a reputation beyond repute GSRBoy has a reputation beyond repute GSRBoy has a reputation beyond repute GSRBoy has a reputation beyond repute GSRBoy has a reputation beyond repute GSRBoy has a reputation beyond repute GSRBoy has a reputation beyond repute GSRBoy has a reputation beyond repute GSRBoy has a reputation beyond repute GSRBoy has a reputation beyond repute GSRBoy has a reputation beyond repute GSRBoy's Avatar
    What do you want in a school? Ask yourself that and see which one best fits the criteria. If UCF is the better school for what you want I'd go there. Don't sacrifice a better education.

Living the dream GSRBoy has a reputation beyond repute GSRBoy has a reputation beyond repute GSRBoy has a reputation beyond repute GSRBoy has a reputation beyond repute GSRBoy has a reputation beyond repute GSRBoy has a reputation beyond repute GSRBoy has a reputation beyond repute GSRBoy has a reputation beyond repute GSRBoy has a reputation beyond repute GSRBoy has a reputation beyond repute GSRBoy has a reputation beyond repute GSRBoy's Avatar
    Oh, I know a bunch of people at UCF that love it there, on the other hand, I know a good amount of people at USF who are just idling through college. I also went there for one semester before I started at UF, and I wasn't a fan at all. BUT I'll give you this, I have lived in Tampa my whole life, so it pretty much felt like 13th grade for me. Also, I love going to a school with school spirit/pride, which I didn't feel much of at USF.

Why so Miata? Orion ZyGarian has a reputation beyond repute Orion ZyGarian has a reputation beyond repute Orion ZyGarian has a reputation beyond repute Orion ZyGarian has a reputation beyond repute Orion ZyGarian has a reputation beyond repute Orion ZyGarian has a reputation beyond repute Orion ZyGarian has a reputation beyond repute Orion ZyGarian has a reputation beyond repute Orion ZyGarian has a reputation beyond repute Orion ZyGarian has a reputation beyond repute Orion ZyGarian has a reputation beyond repute Orion ZyGarian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GSRBoy View Post
    Oh, I know a bunch of people at UCF that love it there, on the other hand, I know a good amount of people at USF who are just idling through college. I also went there for one semester before I started at UF, and I wasn't a fan at all. BUT I'll give you this, I have lived in Tampa my whole life, so it pretty much felt like 13th grade for me. Also, I love going to a school with school spirit/pride, which I didn't feel much of at USF.
    You went where one semester and wasnt a fan...USF?

Personally, I'm very very concerned about making sure college doesnt become "13th grade" because I've been tired with the bullshit and drama of my local high school since before I stepped foot on campus..so I'm hoping that'll change in Tampa/Orlando.

Education is far more important to me. You wont see me at any parties if at all, let alone with a drink or smoke...so social life I couldnt give a flying fuck about, though I need to be able to meet some chicks from all the complete lack of fun I've had in HS

Yeah, and school spirit is also important for me...I'm going back to my previous high school for my final semseter almost entirely for that reason. I just hate the BS and drama at Venice High school...this graduating class blows floppy donkey dick and I was glad to get away from that going to a high school that wasnt local

Yea..that very well could have been the most retarded idea I've ever heard, but .. do it anyway. -TheShow50h

RIP JZDeLorean and Tyler

Yeah I was talking about USF, I absolutely love UF

Registered User SixtySix is an unknown quantity at this point SixtySix's Avatar
    I am not sure what year you are currently in, but the one thing about USF that was my final decision for school was the lay out of the college and how well groomed it was every time I visited.

My top 5 choices for schools [based on location] were:
    UCF - Location and position to nearly everything in the state.
    USF - Not to far away from home, but can still have nice weekend camping in the north.
    Northwood University - Still considering this for classes - WestPalm beach is amazing, but a too much city.
    University of Wisconsin - Family and firends up north were a big factor, but then there was the snow issue.
    Flagler College - St. Augustine is an amazine location, but there economy is based on tourisim. I use to live in Naples and wanna get away from a tourist trap community.

The school you graduate from will look good on the first employeer that picks you up, but afterwards, your degree will mean nothing. It will be the quality of work you can produce from there. I choose the marketing field with an accounting minor and have to say, the professors here at USF are very willing to talk to you and help you out too.

Voice of Reason Topless T/A User is effing awesome ! Topless T/A User is effing awesome ! Topless T/A User is effing awesome ! Topless T/A User is effing awesome ! Topless T/A User is effing awesome ! Topless T/A User is effing awesome ! Topless T/A User is effing awesome ! Topless T/A User is effing awesome ! Topless T/A User is effing awesome ! Topless T/A User is effing awesome ! Topless T/A User is effing awesome ! Topless T/A's Avatar
    I looked at UCF and my brother goes there now, so here's what i can tell you:

AS far as engineering goes, UCF does have a superior program to USF. Also, UCF is getting tons of money poured into it right now and is building all kinds of new infrastructure. While UCF has a lot of people that go it (not sure of its enrollment #'s compared to USF) the campus is laid out so that everything is very centralized, unlike a place like UF where sometimes you have to take a bus across campus to get to class. I'm not a fan of the city of Orlando, but I'm not a big city person either...my brother likes it because there's always something to do, but traffic does suck.

Most importantly, UCF is a more credible school than USF is as well...and that's not going to change anytime soon as UCF continues to get bigger and make more of a name for itself. Also, if I were you I wouldn't even consider choosing a college based on something like where the most Supras are...you need to look at the academics and the surroundings more than anything, and you'll be surprised how many new people you'll meet.

Assemblage 23
    Negative Format

I'll work to elevate you, just enough to bring you down.

Eis Aner Oudeis Aner Ender. has a reputation beyond repute Ender. has a reputation beyond repute Ender. has a reputation beyond repute Ender. has a reputation beyond repute Ender. has a reputation beyond repute Ender. has a reputation beyond repute Ender. has a reputation beyond repute Ender. has a reputation beyond repute Ender. has a reputation beyond repute Ender. has a reputation beyond repute Ender. has a reputation beyond repute Ender.'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Topless T/A View Post
    Most importantly, UCF is a more credible school than USF is as well...
    How can you say that?

Unless you plan on working in NASCAR I would stay away from USF. USF's SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) are some of the best in the country. Check out www.usfracing.com and see. Both schools are continually growing and are forever changing.

Quote Originally Posted by Ender. View Post
    Unless you plan on working in NASCAR I would stay away from USF. USF's SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) are some of the best in the country.
    Thats a big thing I was looking into, the SAE involvement with USF. I dont plan on NASCAR at all, but I do on being an engineer for BMW/Toyota, whichever.

So wait...you think I should stay away from USF then? I'm confused...you speak highly of it and then say stay away

RIP JZDeLorean and Tyler

Voice of Reason Topless T/A User is effing awesome ! Topless T/A User is effing awesome ! Topless T/A User is effing awesome ! Topless T/A User is effing awesome ! Topless T/A User is effing awesome ! Topless T/A User is effing awesome ! Topless T/A User is effing awesome ! Topless T/A User is effing awesome ! Topless T/A User is effing awesome ! Topless T/A User is effing awesome ! Topless T/A User is effing awesome ! Topless T/A's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ender. View Post
    How can you say that?
    I mean I'm not the college expert or anything, but just looking at the facilities, research, academic options and reputation between the two, UCF definitely has the upper hand.

Assemblage 23
    Negative Format

Just Ledoux it! 93ex has a reputation beyond repute 93ex has a reputation beyond repute 93ex has a reputation beyond repute 93ex has a reputation beyond repute 93ex has a reputation beyond repute 93ex has a reputation beyond repute 93ex has a reputation beyond repute 93ex has a reputation beyond repute 93ex has a reputation beyond repute 93ex has a reputation beyond repute 93ex has a reputation beyond repute 93ex's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion ZyGarian View Post

Education is far more important to me. You wont see me at any parties if at all, let alone with a drink or smoke...so social life I couldnt give a flying fuck about, though I need to be able to meet some chicks from all the complete lack of fun I've had in HS
    these two statemets are kinda opposing. You will want a social life to meet chicks. You have to go do something to meet someone. Esepcially if you are takin engineering classes...
    http://www.myspace.com/jdreade

LOL Amen...I was going to do Coastal Engineering here, but the rep at orientation persuaded me, and probably the whole class, from taking it! I can still hear him now 'If you go into engineering you will have NO time to do anything else but study, we are going to build engineering student dorms so they can have peace and quiet all the time while they study' No thanks!

army pilot I'm Phucked has a reputation beyond repute I'm Phucked has a reputation beyond repute I'm Phucked has a reputation beyond repute I'm Phucked has a reputation beyond repute I'm Phucked has a reputation beyond repute I'm Phucked has a reputation beyond repute I'm Phucked has a reputation beyond repute I'm Phucked has a reputation beyond repute I'm Phucked has a reputation beyond repute I'm Phucked has a reputation beyond repute I'm Phucked has a reputation beyond repute I'm Phucked's Avatar
    as far as quality of engineering programs go USF is above UCF hands down. with the nanotech research program going full swing the department is getting all the funds to do what others cannot.

also with UCF the class criteria keeps changing. I know of 2 students now that were in their last semester and the student requirements changed that academic year and they had to take 2 or 3 more classes and another semester to graduate. (thus the acronym U Can't Finish fits them well)

UF is a great engineering school but it gets way overshadowed by the athletic program so I chose USF (Which went Big East so I lose anyway )
    In a relationship you are either man or woman choose wisely [fortune cookie @ Ling's garden]

Quote Originally Posted by Tackleberry View Post
    thats an insult to a circus

Eis Aner Oudeis Aner Ender. has a reputation beyond repute Ender. has a reputation beyond repute Ender. has a reputation beyond repute Ender. has a reputation beyond repute Ender. has a reputation beyond repute Ender. has a reputation beyond repute Ender. has a reputation beyond repute Ender. has a reputation beyond repute Ender. has a reputation beyond repute Ender. has a reputation beyond repute Ender. has a reputation beyond repute Ender.'s Avatar
    I meant UCF for the NASCAR thing...

I am a a Mechanical Engineering major here at USF and I will attest I don't study as much as I should be. It is a lot of work adn eventually when I get further along I would love to get involved with the SAE.

Actually I've been looking into U of Miami lately, since they have a specific "Internal Combustion Engine" class, which I'm really hoping wont be limited to gasoline piston engines...I love rotaries and diesels as well, and really hope I can help impletment mass internal combustive hydrogen engines.

But mostly because of female reasons though lol

RIP JZDeLorean and Tyler

Mechanical Engineer BLUE2KSS has a reputation beyond repute BLUE2KSS has a reputation beyond repute BLUE2KSS has a reputation beyond repute BLUE2KSS has a reputation beyond repute BLUE2KSS has a reputation beyond repute BLUE2KSS has a reputation beyond repute BLUE2KSS has a reputation beyond repute BLUE2KSS has a reputation beyond repute BLUE2KSS has a reputation beyond repute BLUE2KSS has a reputation beyond repute BLUE2KSS has a reputation beyond repute BLUE2KSS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion ZyGarian View Post
    Actually I've been looking into U of Miami lately, since they have a specific "Internal Combustion Engine" class, which I'm really hoping wont be limited to gasoline piston engines...I love rotaries and diesels as well, and really hope I can help impletment mass internal combustive hydrogen engines.

But mostly because of female reasons though lol

USF has this class also

Mechanical Engineer - Naval Surface Warfare Center PCD, Marine Corps. Counter IED Development

USF Formula and Baja racing Alumni/Consultant

miss independent Alli User is effing awesome ! Alli User is effing awesome ! Alli User is effing awesome ! Alli User is effing awesome ! Alli User is effing awesome ! Alli User is effing awesome ! Alli User is effing awesome ! Alli User is effing awesome ! Alli User is effing awesome ! Alli User is effing awesome ! Alli User is effing awesome ! Alli's Avatar
    My dad went to UCF for Engineering and got a good job, makes awesome money...

I don't think it matters so much WHERE you get your degree at, as long as you know your material, try to get some networking/connections, and of course your work ethic.. that's what will get you far.. But i've heard soo many good things about UCF as far as engineering goes.. I'd go there if I were you.

+1 to Topless T/A .. UCF is more credible than USF.

My dad hires engineers right out of college.. actually juuuust hired a guy who graduated from FSU last semester. So.... but yeah its NOT easy to get the degree. best of luck to you!
    Last edited by Alli; 10-10-2006 at 06:58 PM.
    The higher we soar, the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly.
    - Nietzsche

If I wanted change, I'd go to the bank
    McCain-Palin 2008

No longer has a DSM :( Gst_LmJ has a spectacular aura about Gst_LmJ has a spectacular aura about Gst_LmJ has a spectacular aura about Gst_LmJ has a spectacular aura about Gst_LmJ has a spectacular aura about Gst_LmJ has a spectacular aura about Gst_LmJ has a spectacular aura about Gst_LmJ has a spectacular aura about Gst_LmJ has a spectacular aura about Gst_LmJ has a spectacular aura about Gst_LmJ has a spectacular aura about Gst_LmJ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Alli View Post
    My dad went to UCF for Engineering and got a good job, makes awesome money...

I don't think it matters so much WHERE you get your degree at, as long as you know your material, try to get some networking/connections, and of course your work ethic.. that's what will get you far.. But i've heard soo many good things about UCF as far as engineering goes.. I'd go there if I were you.

+1 to Topless T/A .. UCF is more credible than USF.

My dad hires engineers right out of college.. actually juuuust hired a guy who graduated from FSU last semester. So.... but yeah its NOT easy to get the degree. best of luck to you!

what type of engineering does your dad do?

White DSM

Mechanical Engineer BLUE2KSS has a reputation beyond repute BLUE2KSS has a reputation beyond repute BLUE2KSS has a reputation beyond repute BLUE2KSS has a reputation beyond repute BLUE2KSS has a reputation beyond repute BLUE2KSS has a reputation beyond repute BLUE2KSS has a reputation beyond repute BLUE2KSS has a reputation beyond repute BLUE2KSS has a reputation beyond repute BLUE2KSS has a reputation beyond repute BLUE2KSS has a reputation beyond repute BLUE2KSS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Topless T/A View Post
    I mean I'm not the college expert or anything, but just looking at the facilities, research, academic options and reputation between the two, UCF definitely has the upper hand.

im sorry, but i dont agree

its up to speculation, and compare USF's SAE program, to UCF's and the UCF guys still cant build a decent formula cart or baja cart to save their lives

i have no idea where you are getting this information you have, or the claims you make and what footing you have to say this

Mechanical Engineer - Naval Surface Warfare Center PCD, Marine Corps. Counter IED Development

USF Formula and Baja racing Alumni/Consultant

Quote Originally Posted by BLUE2KSS View Post
    im sorry, but i dont agree

its up to speculation, and compare USF's SAE program, to UCF's and the UCF guys still cant build a decent formula cart or baja cart to save their lives

i have no idea where you are getting this information you have, or the claims you make and what footing you have to say this
    It's just common knowledge in the FL university system that UCF is widely known for the engineering program. And like I said before, if you look at the amount of infrastructure and current research opportunities UCF takes the cake no question. Just over the past 4 years or so UCF has exploded in popularity, but you never hear anything about USF.

I graduated from and now work for UF at a plant science research facility, so I have a decent understanding of the FL univiersity system....and in my opinion UCF is a much more credible institution than USF.

Assemblage 23
    Negative Format

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information